Friday, March 28, 2008

Feeling Mushy


So I'm feeling a little nostalgic and thought I would share the final entry of my journal. Darryl, Joe - I promise to send it to you by the end of the weekend! Writing is not my forte but hopefully the sentiment is there:

I am currently in Boulder, CO realizing that I am talking non-stop about the rotation. I am about to embark on a four-day journey to Palo Alto, CA while car camping/hiking along the way. Driving six to eight hours a day can make you pretty nostalgic.

As I drive along I-70 through Utah, I look at the weathered rock around me hoping to catch glimpses of the familiar landscapes of Valley of the Gods or Grand Gulch. It’s beautiful, but it’s not the same. I never fully appreciated the landscapes that the US has to offer. I didn’t know about Albuquerque; I was completely mistaken about New Mexico; and I couldn’t fully appreciate that the southwest is more than just desert. I’ve always chosen to travel to foreign countries just to see and experience something new. And while that’s an incredible experience in itself, I’m surprised and embarrassed to have been so ignorant of what was in our “backyard.” I have just passed through Arches National Park. Finally, I know what crypto is. I also know that I prefer backcountry camping as opposed to crowded national parks during spring break. I don’t know how to not make this sound cheesy, but I am about to make an analogy between weathered rock/natural arches and people/experiences we have. I look at some of these breathtaking terrains and I am astounded by what I see. How is it that an enormous rock came to be perched upon such a fragile-appearing base? How is it still standing? Then I realize that each balanced rock is the result of water sweeping along its sides, rain running between its crevices, and wind beating against its surface. Forty years from now when I am old and decrepit, I hope to have that same outlook and understanding. I hope to stand elegantly and proudly displaying my weathered self (not in a exhibitionistic way). I hope to recall the time I spent on this rotation in Albuquerque, NM and remember the experiences I’ve had and the people who have shaped and sculpted a part of me.

Thank you to all of you who have made this rotation such a memorable experience. Best of luck and warm wishes all in all you do.

-kristina

No comments: